Transfer Files Over LAN Using Dukto in Ubuntu, Fedora
Dukto is an Open Source and free File Transfer utility available in Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL and other Linux distributions and developed by a single developer. It enables you to transfer files over a LAN to any machines without worrying about permissions, OS, protocols, clients and servers. Its very easy to use with cool metro-UI.
Dukto recently released version 6 with major UI improvement and bug fixes over earlier releases.
Dukto Feature Highlights
- Simple user interface
- No server or internet connection needed
- Zero configuration
- Clients auto-discovery
- High speed file transfer
- Multi-OS native support
- Portable version available
- Multi files and folders transfer
- Transfers log
- Send and receive text snippets (eg. useful for sending URLs)
- Open received files directly from the application
- Windows 7 taskbar integration with progress and transfer indicator
- Show your IP addresses on the IP connection page
- Full Unicode support
- Metro style UI
- Free and open source
How to install – using Terminal
To install Dukto in Ubuntu using terminal run below commands in sequence. Enter password when prompted.
$ sudo sh -c "echo \'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/colomboem/xUbuntu_15.04/ /\' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dukto.list" $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install dukto
How to install in Fedora
Run following command as root in Fedora 21 and below
$ cd /etc/yum.repos.d/ $ wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:colomboem/Fedora_21/home:colomboem.repo $ yum install dukto
- Type Dukto in dash. Click the launcher icon.
- From Menu, find it under Applications
Troubleshooting and Support
If you face any issues while installing or using Dukto, you may drop a note using comment section at the end of this article, Or you can post your query in any of the support channels mentioned below.
- Generic Ubuntu Forum: Ask Ubuntu
How to uninstall
To uninstall Dukto run below commands in terminal.
sudo apt-get remove dukto