The latest entry to the long list of linux flavors is the Chromixium which have the look and feel of Chrome OS and based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. It is a free, modern, attractive and functional Open Source operating system for laptops, notebooks and desktop computers. It can be downloaded and transferred to a CD, DVD or USB stick in order to test it without changing your hard drive. It includes an installer, so you can quickly install it for a more permanent operating system. Chromixium combines the power of the web, with the power of the Ubuntu and GNU/Linux desktop ecosystem.
For those are in love of Chromebook and Linux, this distro comes as a surprise. In Chromixium, everything revolves around the Web and user experiences, everything from there. The Chrome apps helps you to connect to your emails, messages, your cloud documents and everything.
For offline work, you can install all apps like Skype, LibreOffice, Steam and more.
Table of Contents
Chromixium is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and available as 32 bit version so that it can run easily on low-end systems. A minimum system requirements for Chromixium is available below:
- 1GB USB device or DVD-R/RW
- 1GHZ Processor, Intel/AMD (dual core preferred)
- 512MB RAM (1GB preferred)
- 4GB hard disk space (8GB preferred)
- Video graphics capable of 800×600 resolution (1024×600 or better preferred)
- Wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) Internet access
- A computer that is capable of booting from a DVD or USB
- Intel hardware is generally better supported ‘out-of-the-box’ on Linux-based operating systems.
The first stable version is available for download using below links:
- SourceForge ISO: Chromixium-1.0-i386-hybrid.iso (32 bit download for PC)[840mb]
- Torrent: SF Torrent [More Mirrors]
You can use the live version after downloading by burning a disk/ creating a live USB.
How to Install – Video
- Official Page: Chromixium
- Wiki: Chromixium Wiki
- Forum: Chromixium Forum