HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and Printing) is an official hp printer and scanner software for Linux. This software is developed by HP and supports a wide range of HP network printers and scanners including Deskjet, Officejet, inkjet, etc. This software supports both monochrome and color scanning as well.
- HPLIP recently released the latest version 3.20.2 with below improvements:
- Support for Linux Mint 19.3 “Tricia”
- Support added for below new printers in Linux
- HP Neverstop Laser MFP 1200n
- HP Neverstop Laser MFP 1201n
- HP Neverstop Laser MFP 1200nw
- HP Neverstop Laser MFP 1202nw
- HP Laser NS MFP 1005n
- HP Neverstop Laser 1000n
- HP Neverstop Laser 1001nw
- HP Laser NS 1020n
- HP ScanJet Pro 2000 s2
- HP ScanJet Pro 3000 s4
- HP ScanJet Pro N4000 snw1
- HP ScanJet Enterprise Flow 5000 s5
- HP ScanJet Enterprise Flow N7000 snw1
How to Install HPLIP 3.20.2 in Ubuntu, Linux Mint
- Go to the download page.
- Choose your Linux operating system from the dropdown and click download. For example, for Ubuntu, you would download the file hplip-3.20.2.run
- Once downloaded, open terminal and run to make the file executable
chmod +x ~/Downloads/hplip-3.20.2.run
- Then execute the program
- Wait until the download is complete. Once completed plugin your printer/scanner.
- Open terminal and download hplip-gui for Ubuntu:
sudo apt install hplip-gui
- Once installed, run the setup
- If you are having a USB printer try below
hp-setup -b usb
- If you know the IP address of your printer, you can use below command (change the IP address to your printer IP:
The HP Device manager would open, follow the one screen instructions and add the printer.