Ubuntu 16.04 recently released and if you are running older versions e.g 15.10 or 14.04 LTS, here is how to upgrade.
The Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Xenial Xerus update is not automatically available to general users until the first point release i.e. 16.04.1 on July 2016. But still you can follow below steps to have it updated in your system. Please note, this upgrade is not recommended in production installations now till the first point release 16.04.1 LTS.
Backup before you start Update
Before you start the upgrade, please make sure to back up your data, you home directory contents in a separate disk/cloud. If somethings goes wrong in the backup process, you can always make a fresh install and have your files from the backup.
Steps to Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in Desktop Systems
- From Dash. find the ‘Software & Updates’
- Select the 3rd Tab called “Updates”
- Under “Notify me of a new Ubuntu Version” drop down menu , choose :
- For Long term support version if you are using 14.04 LTS
- For any new version if you are using 15.10
- Open terminal, and type update-manager and press enter.
- Software updater will open and notify you New Distribution release 16.04 is available
- Click Upgrade and follow onscreen instructions.
- If you unable to see the notification about new distribution release, you can force update the 16.04 by running below command:
Wait till the upgrade is finished, it will take while. Once the update is completed, reboot your computer.