mpv is a free, open source media player available in linux systems and is a fork of Mplayer and mplayer2.
Table of Contents
mpv media player Feature Summary
- Streamlined CLI Options with better option names and symantics for easy memorise
- Small on-screen controller visible only for mouse move gives user best viewing exprience
- High quality video output capable of many features – better algorithms, color management, frame timing, interpolation etc
- GPU Video decoding – mpv uses Ffmpeg hwaccel APIs to support VDPAU, VAAPI, DXVA2, VDA and VideoToolbox video decode acceleration.
- Play Directly from Context menu
How to install – using Terminal
To install mpv media player in Ubuntu using terminal run below commands in sequence. Enter password when prompted.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:~mc3man/mpv-tests sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mpv
For installation instruction for other linux distributions, visit here.
- Right click any media file and select open with -> mpv media player
Troubleshooting and Support
If you face any issues while installing or using mpv media player, you may drop a note using comment section at the end of this article, Or you can post your query in any of the support channels mentioned below.
- Online Community: mpv
- Generic Ubuntu Forum: Ask Ubuntu
How to uninstall
To uninstall mpv media player in Ubuntu, run below commands in terminal.
sudo apt-get remove mpv