Kdenlive 20.04 Video Editor is out. This is how you can install in Ubuntu 20.04 and a brief look at new features.
Kdenlive is a free and open-source video editor available for Linux, Mac, and Windows. It is one of the non-linear, feature-rich free video editors out there in the market. Kdenline, which is a QT based KDE app is perfect for beginners, and professionals who require a free editor which is not so complex and loaded with features.
- Major speed improvements due to the Preview Scaling feature.
- The new rating, tagging sorting, and filtering of clips in the Project Bin for a great logging experience.
- Pitch shifting is now possible when using the speed effect.
- Multicam editing improvements and OpenTimelineIO support.
- New tracking algorithms (CSRT and MOSSE) in motion tracking.
- 40 critical stability issues fixed in this release.
- Major revamp of the user experience.
How to install Kdenlive 20.04 in Ubuntu 20.04
Kdenlive is available in PPA to install in Ubuntu, Linux Mint and other Ubuntu flavors. To install it via PPA run below commands from the terminal.
Add PPA and install
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable
sudo apt install kdenlive
- If you want to downgrade and want to keep your current Kdenlive version, run below.
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable
- To remove the PPA and remove Kdenlive, run below.
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable
sudo apt remove --autoremove kdenlive kdenlive-data
Fedora and other Linux distributions
Kdenlive also has an AppImage executable which you can directly download and run – no installation needed. Download the Kdenlive 20.04 AppImage from the below link and make it executable for the run.
For Windows executable and Mac refer below page for download.
Via release announcement.