Blender is a free and open source professional computer graphics software used for creating 3D graphics, models, interactive 3D applications and video games.
Table of Contents
What’s new in Blender 2.77
- Cycles Rendering has better Subsurface Scattering, GPU support for Smoke/Fire and Point Density, and a few other features and optimizations.
- User Interface has faster OpenGL rendering and better Anti-Aliasing, and other improvements
- Modeling now has an edit-mode boolean tool, better decimate modifier, selection tools
- Sequencer has a Gaussian Blur effect speedup, and other strip and modifier improvements
- Sculpting/Painting has better extruding and weight painting tools
- Animation has a new constraint interpolation method, and improvements in graph editor, dope sheet, armatures and motion paths
- Grease pencil now has stroke sculpting, and several other workflow improvements
- Library handling has been improved to better manage missing and deleted datablocks
- Game Engine has a few new small features
- A new Add-on supports packing .blend files and their dependencies, some other IO Add-on was improved, and Python was upgraded
- OpenVDB caching is now supported for smoke/volumetric simulations, multithreading is now massively supported, and also 2D stabilization node, Image editor, Cubemap and spotlights were improved
- Support for Windows XP was removed, and the SCons build system too.
- Lots of bug fixes
— Notes from www.blendernation.com
Due to the nature of the software, blender needs above average hardware.
Find the minimum and production grade system requirements here.
How to Install Blender
Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, elementary
Installation via Terminal using PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thomas-schiex/blender sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install blender
If you want to grab the latest 2.77 tar file, download from below link and execute blender after extract.
Troubleshooting and Support
If you face any issues while installing or using Blender, you may drop a note using comment section at the end of this article, Or you can post your query in any of the support channels mentioned below.
Blender is a free software. You can support its developments by donating, you can find more details using below link.
How to Uninstall/Remove Blender and the PPA
sudo apt-get remove blender sudo ppa-purge ppa:thomas-schiex/blender